Application Deadlines for Fall 2018 Admission
Priority application deadline for fall admission: November 15, 2017
2nd Round application deadline: February 1, 2018
Late applications may be considered. Please contact the department for information.
Prospective students must either have:
- previously completed a professional degree in landscape architecture or architecture (BLA, MLA, BARCH or MARCH), or
- hold a masters degree (e.g., MA or MS) in a related and/or relevant field and show clear evidence of academic experience and goals suitably aligned with landscape architecture.
A record of demonstrated research is an important admission criterion for all applicants. In particular, a clear capacity for and commitment to research will be strongly considered in admissions.
It is strongly recommended that applicants contact the faculty member(s) with whom they are most interested in working well in advance of submitting their application. The department must establish (PRIOR to admission) whether there is sufficient goodness-of-fit between the scholarly goals and aspirations of a student with the skills, interests and availability of at least one faculty member who would be willing to serve as provisional major advisor.
The department needs a complete application, which includes both steps as outlined below, before the PhD application committee will consider it. Online application open October 1.
There are two steps in the application process:
- Apply to the University of Oregon Graduate School
Includes official transcripts and English Language compentency for non-native English speakers. See UO Graduate School requirements here.
English Language Proficieny Requirements for the Department of Landscape Architecture: IBT TOEFL Minimum = 90 ; PBT TOEFL Minimum = 5775; IELTS Minimum = 7.0
- Apply to the Department of Landscape Architecture through Slideroom
- PDF copy of all of your transcripts and degree certificates
- PDF copy of your GRE test score report with analytical and verbal scores — Official scores must be sent to the University of Oregon, Institutional Code:4846; Department Code: 4405
- Current resume
- A personal statement — Your personal statement should describe your background, strengths, interests and aspirations in the field of landscape architecture, including why you want to come to the University of Oregon for your doctoral work. This should include discussion of your proposed area of specialization, program of study, and a prospective major advisor.
- A writing sample — This should show evidence of critical thinking in a research context.
- A portfolio of your creative work — Your portfolio should include scholarly, creative and professional work relevant to the pursuit of doctoral research in landscape architecture.
- 3 letters of recommendation (2 from academic sources) - Recommenders will automatically receive an e-mail inviting them to login and complete the reference requirement through the Slideroom application.
- $10 administrative submission fee
The Slideroom application saves your application as you work, therefore you can login and update as necessary until you are ready to submit. Once you submit, you will not be able to edit your application.
For questions about the program or for more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 541-346-3634.