Several A&AA scholars, alumni, and friends were recognized recently with Oregon Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects’ inaugural Honor Awards.
"After a long tradition of an annual design awards program, we decided to shift our focus this year to recognizing the best in our profession and our community," said Laurie Matthews, Oregon ASLA president.
Above: Deven Young, of Alta Planning + Design, was awarded the Outstanding Emerging Professional Award.
The awards “celebrate the spirit of the landscape architecture profession in Oregon by recognizing people and organizations for their outstanding service to the profession, design excellence, community leadership, and careful stewardship,” the organization’s website stated.
The winners from the A&AA community current and past include:
• Outstanding Emerging Professional Award and the President’s Chapter Service Award: Deven Young, Alta Planning + Design.
• Lord and Schryver Award: UO Department of Landscape Architecture faculty Liska Chan, Anne Godfrey, and Roxi Thoren. The award recognizes outstanding contributions by women in landscape architecture.
• Student Honor and Merit Awards: Kelly Stoecklein, current graduate student in landscape architecture; Elizabeth Stapleton, MLA ’16; Casey Howard, BLA ’16; and Jane Jewett, BLA ’16.
• Tom McCall Award: Friends of Trees, a community-building group that plants and cares for trees, was honored for “outstanding community leadership and careful stewardship.” Its staff members include Jeff Lanza, BLA ’98 (Eugene), and Kris Day Hikari, MLA ’08 (Portland-Vancouver).
• Outstanding Firm Award: Mayer/Reed, Inc.; Carol Mayer Reed and Michael Reed have served on the A&AA advisory board.
Learn more about the winners at the Oregon ASLA website.
Above: At left, Elizabeth Stapleton, MLA ’16 and now an A&AA adjunct professor, accepts the Graduate Merit Award. She’s joined by Paula Barretto, BLA ’15, winner of the 2014 Oregon ASLA Undergraduate Merit Award.
Above: Casey Howard, BLA ’16, accepts her Undergraduate Honor Award.
Above: Jane Jewett, BLA ’16, was recognized with the Undergraduate Merit Award.
Above: From left, Laurie Matthews, MLA, ’01, Oregon ASLA chapter president, presents the Lord and Schryver Award to UO faculty Anne Godfrey, Liska Chan, and Roxi Thoren.