Jerome 'Jerry' Diethelm

Professor Emeritus

Room 178 Onyx Bridge
541-346-1441
diethelm@uoregon.edu

B.Arch., 1962, Washington (Seattle); M.L.A., 1964, Harvard; Reg. Architect and Landscape Architect, Oregon. (1970)

Jerry Diethelm is Professor Emeritus of Landscape Architecture and Community Service and a registered landscape architect and architect in Oregon. He is a graduate of Harvard's Graduate School of Design and the University of Washington's College of Architecture and Urban Planning.

From 1970-2005 Jerry taught planning and design studios at all levels of the undergraduate and graduate programs and graduate seminars in Environmental Ethics, Environmental Aesthetics, and Design Theory. As department head from 1971-1981, he led the faculty in the re-conception and development of Oregon's modern curriculum in Landscape Architecture. He has been the founder and principal of two offices: Diethelm & Bressler, Inc. of Eugene, and Environmental Planning Consultants of Phoenix, Arizona.

Since retiring from teaching, Jerry has returned to full-time practice as a planning and urban design consultant, working on urban design projects in the Eugene-Springfield metropolitan region and throughout Oregon. Recent projects have included the Glenwood Riverfront Plan, Eugene Downtown Riverfront Plan, siting studies for both McKenzie-Willamette-Triad and PeaceHealth hospitals in Glenwood, the Old Woolen Mill Extension of Downtown Bandon, Revising the McMinnville Urban Grown Boundary, a Downtown Open Space Initiative for Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy, and an Urban Design Plan for Downtown Halsey, Oregon.

Jerry is an active member of the City Club of Eugene, the international Design Research Society, and a frequent contributor to the Eugene Weekly and Eugene Register Guard on city design and planning matters. His most recent writings on design and design theory are posted on his website at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~diethelm.